Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Finding the Funny Jokes for your Groom Speech

The wedding speech needs to be like a mini movie , with the right amount of humor, drama, comedy and emotions interspersed with stories/anecdotes of the bride and groom and you have a hit movie. The speech itself need not be funny but a right funny groom speech can be great crowd-pleaser. You just need to make sure that the jokes do not offend any one.

The funny part should not come at the expense of anyone. When I was trying to incorporate the funny jokes, my objective was not to offend anyone. Speaking after my father-in-law speech, I wanted to make sure that I do not tread on any unknown and tricky territory and avoid any embarrassing moments for father-in-law and my bride.

Secret of a Humorous Speech
The usage of humor in my wedding speech made sure that I was able to connect with the audience and they were hooked to every word that I spoke. I used different jokes at different times and it allowed to keep the attention of everyone. Remember, the objective of the groom toast is to grab the center of attention along with the bride and keep the focus on the couple.

Remember, like the movie, you need to have some emotions mixed with few funny jokes that create a balance. It is a like a roller coaster ride, you say some emotional things and bring them back you interject with some funny joke making everyone relaxed and focused. I used my own nervousness and emotions to break the ice with the audience.


Another important tip to engage with the audience, remember you are talking to them not giving a lecture. This is not a contest, so you need not fret and learn to relax. The speech should come out as a conversation with the family members and friends.

One of the foremost rule when making speech is to make eye contact with your audience. Do not look blindly in one corner. If you are hesitant, make sure you practice the speech with your friends/family to make sure you come out with great guns on the big day.

Hopefully, these tips should help you get started on the right note. You can also make use of the wedding speech examples to hone and polish the jokes.