Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Plan your Groom Wedding Speech

The day I proposed to my girl friend and we decided to get married, I had started visualizing the whole marriage and that included the groom wedding speech. Having attended multiple marriages and seen plenty of movies, I knew the importance of the speech and I wanted to prepare in earnest. But the fact is, i kept postponing the speech just before the week of the wedding.

Not planning for enough time and preparing in advance was the biggest mistake I made. My recommendation to you all, do not make the same mistake.

Once, I started working on the groom speech, the words just started to leave me and it all seemed to be a very hard task. I wanted to make a lasting impression, standing in front of every one ( a la Steve Jobs) and here I was even struggling for words.

As days passed by and the wedding date kept getting closer, I am trying to think of memorable quotes, witty comments for my groom wedding speech and it was just not working at all. At some point, i just decided, to write down the random idea's that were coming to my mind.

Later, I did realized that this was not one of the most effective ways to plan your groom wedding speech but this at-least me got me started and allowed me to move ahead.

I started jotting down the idea's, using the speech prompts and guides, I gathered information about myself and my bride. I jotted down moments like - how we met, where we met, our first coffee, my first gift, how we grew close together, how I proposed and other such memorable moments. Next task, was to take these moments and try to put a story around so as to capture the essence of the relationship.

I guess, at this point, the key was to collect all those memorable and funny moments. The order or the actual content does not matter. The key to a perfect wedding speech is start noting down all the moments. Once you have crossed that hurdle, penning together the speech is the far more easier from there.